Residents of a house on Webster Street discovered smoke pouring from a second-floor bedroom after returning indoors from spending time at their swimming pool on Thursday night.
Fire Chief Scott Duffey said quick action by firefighters saved the house from extensive damage. The family spent the night there despite smoke and heat damage to one bedroom and smoke damage to adjoining rooms, Duffey said.
The fire, at 566 Webster St., was reported in a 911 call to police at 10:50 p.m. Thursday.
Duffey said a preliminary investigation by the state fire marshal’s office showed the blaze began due to careless disposal of smoking materials.
He said the residents closed the door to the second-floor bedroom and went out to their swimming pool. When they returned, they discovered smoke in the room and called for assistance.
Firefighters, assisted by Abington and Hanover, were at the scene for three hours, while Hingham firefighters covered the station. The fire closed Webster Street, Route 123, to traffic for about 90 minutes.