Firefighters responded to two gas leaks in Rockland this afternoon.
At about 2 p.m. Tuesday, a construction worker at the Maple Street Apartments on Plain Street hit a gas line. The empty building, which is still under construction, filled with gas, Rockland Fire Chief William Ferguson said.
National Grid was able to shut the gas off, and Rockland and Abington firefighters spent about two hours opening windows in the four-floor apartment building so it could ventilate.
Emerson and Plain streets and part of Maple Street were blocked off for two hours. Firefighters cleared the site at about 4 p.m.
Shortly after the first leak, at about 2:15 p.m., a resident called about a gas leak at a house in the Millbrook neighborhood off of Beech Street.
Off-duty Rockland fire personnel and Hanson Fire responded and cleared out the house. National Grid was able to shut off the gas.
Hanover Fire Department covered Rockland’s station during the incidents.
Allison Manning may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.