A smoky restaurant oven triggered a fire alarm and forced a dozen businesses to evacuate Tuesday morning.
Because of an equipment malfunction and human error, an oven at Seasons Cafe filled a kitchen with smoke shortly before 10 a.m., Lt. Craig A. Erickson of the Rockland Fire Department said. The 12 businesses in the Hingham Street Marketplace strip mall were evacuated for about 15 minutes, he said.
Firefighters had to leave the mall quickly so they could respond to a rollover accident on Stanton Street. One person hurt in the two-car accident was taken to Brockton Hospital; two refused medical treatment, Erickson said.
Rockland responded to four other that were reported between 9:29 and 10:06 a.m., with help from police and the Abington, Hanover, Whitman and Norwell fire departments.
“We were kind of running around town back and forth, but somehow we got the job done,” Erickson said.
He said the Rockland fire station was empty for more than a hour as firefighters responded to the multiple calls.
“It’s a common occurrence in Rockland, and it’s happening more and more,” Erickson said.
Andrew Lightman may be reached at email@example.com.