Ashes from a chiminea outdoor fireplace last used Saturday ignited a shed about 1:30 a.m. Monday, Rockland fire officials said.
Two engines arrived at the home at 72 Vernon St. and found the 18-by-18-foot shed and nearby fence engulfed in flames.
They had the fire under control in about 10 minutes, Fire Chief William Ferguson said.
There were no injuries, but the shed and its contents, primarily power tools and shop equipment, were a total loss.
The house occupants used a chiminea Saturday night and let it burn out instead of extinguishing it, Ferguson said.
The ashes apparently burned through Sunday and until Monday morning, when the homeowners’ grandson emptied them onto a debris pile near the shed, Ferguson said.
Fire officials advised the public to be careful with outdoor fires, never use chimineas or fire pits on wooden surfaces and thoroughly extinguish fires.